5 DAYS, 4 NIGHTS CHALBI DESERT ADVENTURE 2020 ITINERARY
The Northern region of Kenya is vast and scenic. It is home of a variety of tribes and has remained comparatively inaccessible up until now. Ranging from the lush highland green of the southern side to the red sands of the northern borders with Ethiopia in the Chalbi desert, its terrain varied, mysterious and extraordinary beautiful.
DAY 1: NAIROBI – NGURUNIT
Depart Nairobi at 05:30 am – Meeting point: Kencom opposite Hilton Hotel – with healthy stopovers enroute.
Arrival in Isiolo on time for lunch and refreshments at own cost.
Depart Isiolo shortly to Mt. Ololokwe where we will take photos and proceed thereafter to Ngurunit via Leisamis or Logologo (Depending on the nature of this road) where we will meet our guide. More information on Mt. Ololokwe will be given by our local guide.
Arrival in Ngurunit at 3:00 pm where we will begin our day’s excursions; Quad Bike riding, camel riding and sliding on the rock at a spring in Ngurunit.
Pure natural honey from the north can be purchased and any other local artefacts available.
Evening check in at Lasamu camp for dinner and overnight.
MEAL PLAN: DINNER
the red sands of the northern borders with Ethiopia
DAY 2: NGURUNIT – LOIYANGALANI
This will be another exciting day! We will drive 3 hours to Loiyangalani passing through the largest wind power station in Kenya, Lake Turkana wind power station and get a feel of lake Turkana. Proceed to El Moro village, the smallest tribe in Kenya, approximately 1000 people. Learn their culture and interact with the locals as we purchase artefacts (this will be our last point for those of us who would like to do some shopping from the locals).
(Note: please carry any item that you don’t use at home for donation to the El Molo)
Arrival in Loiyangalani for Lunch at Palm Shade Restaurant. Here, we will enjoy fresh fish from the lake.
Head to our camp for dinner and overnight with bonfire.
DAY 3:LOIYANGALANI – NORTH HORR
Early morning breakfast. Depart at 7:00am for North Horr. Here is where we will be able to enjoy the real desert adventure. Arrival in North for check in at our camp. After lunch, we will then engage the afternoon session for swimming at North Horr.
Depart for evening sand dunes at North Horr. Enjoy the evening at the sand dunes as we take photos. |Return to camp for dinner and overnight bonfire at the camp.
DAY 4 NORTH HORR – MARSABIT
Early morning breakfast. Depart North Horr for Marsabit driving through vast land as we sight herds of camels through to Kalacha Oasis.
Visit Gofaredo crater just before Marsabit town, a dry beach with beautiful palm trees.
Arrival for Lunch at Marsabit. Evening game drive in Marsabit National Park. Later visit Lake Paradise and the scenic Bakuli dam, a unique excursion in this program.
Return to our hotel for freshening up and dinner. This being our last night, we would suggest to do a bonfire party with drinks after dinner as we say goodbye to the North.
MEAL PLAN: BREAKFAST LUNCH, AND DINNER.
DAY 5: DEPARTURE
After breakfast, embark on our journey back to Nairobi as we say bye to the North. Arrival in Nairobi late in the evening.
END OF ADVENTURE
EXTRAS TO BE PAID FOR: OPTIONAL
- Day 1 Lunch, approximately 300 depending on what you will choose to consume.
- Quad bikes: Kshs. 200 per person for 20 minutes
- Swimming in Ngurunit rock slides: Kshs. 100 per person
- Camel ride: Kshs. 1,000 per person
- Boat ride to El Moro village: Kshs. 600 per person
- Bonfire on departure day: Kshs. 200 per person
- Alcoholic drinks will depend on what you consume
- Arafat scarf: Kshs. 800 per person
WHAT TO PACK:
- Sunscreen oil
- Proper outdoor shoes
- Snacks and biting for the long drives
- Identification document
- A warm pair of clothing during the cold nights
- Power bank
- Swimming costume
- Enough cash for shopping
- Donation to El Molo community (We encourage works of charity in our trips)
- Reusable water bottle
- Pain killers
- Basic toiletries
- Tip for crew and guides – optional
- Day pack/small bag to carry your personal items
Protocols on Covid -19
- Our Transport is compliant with government regulations on occupancy per vehicle.
- Our cruisers are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before the Trip.
- The nature of this activity enable social distance with ease.
- There are no gatherings at the start or end except for a social distanced stretch